Thursday, May 8, 2014

The Hunt is On! The "How-To's' on Finding That Perfect Score



I get asked all the time, "How in the world do you find this stuff at the thrift store?!?!" Well,besides being blessed with my Taurus-tenacious personality, I've come up with a system that I follow when shopping. Here are some pointers:



1. Go alone or with someone that knows your needs or is on the same page as you.

You know what bothers me? Pressure. I can't stand making any kind of decision when I'm expected to or when someone is waiting on me to answer or speed up a task at hand. That's the same as having someone come with you to the thrift store that doesn't truly want to be there. You don't need that pressure in your life. Someone waiting for you to shop, silently sighing to themselves while saying, "they're fine, don't mind them!" is a MAJOR annoyance and distraction.  No, you need to have like-minded folks whom either share your appreciation for the hunt or who will entertain themselves by enduring in all the wonderful eye candy the thrift store encompasses. Also, there have been many items that I either overlooked or second-guessed that a dear friend encouraged me to "just try it on" and it ended up being one of my favorite thrift store scores.

My niece clearly found a piece that entertained her and she just had to share. 









From the advice of a friend to "just try it on!" MY FAVORITE DRESS 














2.Explore. Give yourself the time.

Even though sometimes making a quick stop is needed, nothing beats having the time to become involved, determined and thorough of having an endless time limit. PERIOD.



3.Make sure you brought enough dough.

A lot of thrift stores accept cash only. BE PREPARED. You might go in thinking you won't find anything, but you never know what you might come across that day. I still think about those nude heels that I put back because I didn't have enough funds to purchase them. That was over 2.5 years ago. *sigh*



4.Look at end-caps, junk piles, go backs, the floor under the  clothes where the items fall.

People can be lazy. We know this to be a fact. I've witnessed it first hand on several occasions people placing things down where they don't belong. It's ok, it happens. This is a useful tip to know for when you thrift. Keep your eyes peeled for those items that may have been misplaced. A lot of times clothing falls off the hangars as well and are on the floor. One man's mishap is another one's score!

5. Shop out of season.

You can't think here and now when it comes to thrifting. It's important to know that when the weather and/or seasons change, flocks of hungry thrifters come soaring into stores. Take advantage of the in-between times. For example, many of my jackets have been purchased mid-summer when the jacket aisle is pathetically deserted. Don't worry jackets, I'll buy you and show you some love.There,there.

My favorite trench coat. Photo courtesy of www.photogracey.com 





My bad-ass faux leather. An essential.  



























6. Become aware of the busy days and stay away.

I don't know about you, but I can't stand shopping when someone is is rubbing elbows with me. I also can't stand it when lurkers will follow you to pick up items you may have changed your mind on. It's like they use your hunting skills to their advantage. Just back off lady!! Call me picky, but I don't want to be distracted with planning on how to maneuver around the pertinacious bargainistas. I want  the choice of free shopping space,ok? This is why I'll chose the empty aisle first IF it's busy. But, I'll try to go at slower times so I don't have to worry about any of that.

They're hungry, thirsty and ready to take your bargains from you!! 



8. Think outside the box!

 If you're needing something unusual and on a budget, why don't you try the thrift store first? It might not be the top of the line or the most current gadget but at least it'll be cheaper and will hold you over until you do find the perfect one. I've had to get an emergency keyboard before, a couple mice for the PC, curling irons, and so on. The most unusual items that I never thought I'd want OR find at the thrift store but actually love finding now are shapewear,sleepwear and corsets. These items are usually hella expensive y'all. One day I looked in that section because I was curious, I'd never looked before. Well, I ended up finding a bunch of items and a whole new appreciation for thrift stores. Some amazing things I have found:

a beautiful shapewear skirt, a lovely lace shapewear dress and a HipsandCurves black lace gown. SCORE!


Anyways, I just love thrifting. It's almost a complete, full-blown addiction now. The more I find these tasty bargains, the more I want more. I'm a glutton for a good bargain,I can't help it. Regardless,  I've learned a few things along the way of which I share now with you guys. I'll keep thrifting,for sure, but at least my experiences might be useful to some!! Please, if you have any tips or suggestions, share them! I might need them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment